Vegan funfetti birthday mug cake. A quick and easy cake made in the microwave in less than 5 minutes. It’s the perfect single serving dessert for any occasion!
Celebrating 27 years next week with a vegan funfetti birthday mug cake.
This mug cake is made with only 8 ingredients in less than 5 minutes. Simply add all the ingredients to a mug, microwave the batter for 60-90 seconds and you’ll have a delicious single serve dessert. This recipe is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re celebrating something or not. It’s a great option if you’re looking for a quick dessert for one or two people.
Funfetti Mug Cake Ingredient Notes:
- Flour: This recipe is made with all-purpose white flour. You can also make it with a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix, such as this one. I haven’t tried making this recipe with other flours. If you try any other flours, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
- Sugar: I tried this recipe with Turbinado cane sugar and regular white sugar. Use what you have on hand.
- Baking powder and salt: Baking powder to help the cake rise and salt to help balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
- Oil: Use a light-tasting oil. I love using avocado oil in this recipe.
- Oat Milk: This recipe was tested using plain, unsweetened oat milk. You can use any plant-based milk, preferably a plain, unsweetened milk.
- Vanilla: For flavor.
- Sprinkles: Feel free to omit the sprinkles to make a plain vanilla cake. It’s just as good!
Serve this cake with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream. Vanilla ice cream is a delicious classic option, but you can try other flavors.
Not an ice cream lover? You can top it with vegan whipped cream or coconut whipped cream instead. It’s also good plain, but toppings do take it to the next level.
How to Make a Funfetti Mug Cake
Here are the steps needed to make a simple Funfetti mug cake.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients
Start by adding your dry ingredients in a mug. You’ll need all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and sprinkles. Stir to combine.
- Add the Liquid Ingredients
Next, add your liquid ingredients, including oat milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk together until combined and no clumps remain.
Microwave the batter for 60-90 seconds or until you get a light and fluffy cake.
This recipe makes one cake, which you can enjoy by yourself or you can share it with someone special. Top it with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream or a dollop of vegan whipped cream.
Funfetti Mug Cake FAQ:
Yes! You can make this recipe gluten-free by using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix like this one.
I only tested this recipe with white all-purpose flour and a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix as mentioned above. I can’t guarantee good results with other flours that I haven’t tried. If you try using a different flour, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
Yes! Simply omit the sprinkles to make a simple vanilla cake.
If you want a chocolate mug cake, check out this recipe instead.
This recipe was only tested using the microwave, so I can’t recommend a baked option.
More Mug Dessert Recipes:
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Vegan Funfetti Birthday Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup white all-purpose flour, spoon and level
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, or other light tasting oil
- 3 tablespoons oat milk, unsweetened, plain
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 teaspoon vegan sprinkles (optional)
- Vegan ice cream, for topping
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and sprinkles to a medium mug. Stir to combine.
- Add the oat milk, oil and vanilla to the dry mixture. Stir using a spoon or small whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix, but mix until smooth.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows (this shouldn't be an issue), heat it in small intervals.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream if desired.
If you make this vegan mug cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. I only share products that I trust and recommend. Choosing to use these links helps to support me and this blog. Thank you!