An easy pumpkin mug cake, made in less than 5 minutes. All you need is a few simple ingredients to make a delicious single-serve pumpkin cake at home. This recipe is vegan and has a gluten-free option.
A delicious fall-inspired mug cake. This quick and easy dessert is perfect when you have a small amount of pumpkin puree to use or when you’re looking for an easy single-serving dessert.
I tried countless variations of this mug cake and this is by far the best one that I tried. All you need is 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients.
Pumpkin Mug Cake Ingredients:
- Vegan Butter: Melted vegan butter makes the cake extra moist. You can use oil instead if preferred. See the FAQ section for substitution tips.
- Oat Milk: I tested this recipe with oat milk, but feel free to use your favorite plant-based milk. I recommend using an unsweetened, plain milk to avoid affecting the flavor.
- Brown Sugar: I tested the recipe with both white and brown sugar. The brown sugar resulted in a better mug cake with a deeper flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree: Make sure to use pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. I used canned pumpkin puree for this recipe, so keep in mind that homemade pumpkin puree might have different results.
- Flour: I tested this recipe with all-purpose white flour and a gluten-free flour mix for a gluten-free option. Use what you prefer.
- Other Ingredients: You’ll need baking powder to help the cake rise, as well as cinnamon, pumpkin spice mix and vanilla for flavor. I also add a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
How to Make an Easy Pumpkin Mug Cake in the Microwave:
Here are the steps that you need to make a simple vegan pumpkin mug cake at home.
- Combine the Wet Ingredients
Start by adding the vegan butter in a mug and melt it in the microwave, about 20 seconds. Add the brown sugar, pumpkin puree, oat milk and vanilla extract to the mug with the melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients
Add the flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice mix, cinnamon and salt to the same mug. Whisk until combined. Try not to overmix.
Microwave for 90 seconds.
Serve with your favorite ice cream. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Mug Cake FAQ:
Yes! This recipe can be made gluten-free by using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix. I tried it with this flour mix and the results were similar, though softer.
I only tested this recipe with white all-purpose flour and a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix as mentioned above. I can’t guarantee good results with other flours that I haven’t tried. If you try using a different flour, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
You can replace the vegan butter in this recipe with a light tasting oil, such as avocado oil. The results will be very similar. If you use oil, I would add an extra touch of salt. And of course, unlike the butter, you don’t need to melt the oil.
This recipe was only tested using the microwave, so I can’t recommend a baked option.
More Mug Dessert Recipes:
Pumpkin Mug Cake Video:
Easy Pumpkin Mug Cake (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons oat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon all-purpose white flour, spoon and level
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice mix
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Add the vegan butter in a mug and melt it in the microwave, about 20 seconds.
- Add the brown sugar, pumpkin puree, oat milk and vanilla extract to the mug with the melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice mix, cinnamon and salt to the mug with the wet ingredients. Whisk until combined. Try not to overmix, but make sure there are no pockets of flour left.
- Microwave for 90 seconds. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows (this shouldn't be an issue), heat it in small intervals.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream. Enjoy!
If you make this pumpkin mug cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. I only share products that I trust and recommend. Choosing to use these links helps to support me and this blog. Thank you!