There’s hummus and then there’s golden hummus.
Turmeric is quickly gaining popularity, so I was surprised not to see any turmeric hummus. I thought I’d give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised with the results! The color is really bright and this hummus is SO flavorful. I also added cumin and garlic to give it a boost. I like to top it with crushed chili peppers, parsley and roasted chickpeas. Eat it with roasted carrots, crackers or raw vegetables and you got yourself the perfect snack or a quick healthy lunch.
For the chickpeas, I decided to go with a curry flavor since it pairs well with the turmeric and the cumin in the hummus. Not only do they add flavor to this dish, but they also add a nice crunch. Roasted chickpeas are the best! Am I right!?
I used this hummus to make this delicious chickpea sandwich that I posted on Instagram. Let me tell you, this sandwich is the best vegan sandwich I ever made! I’ll have to post a recipe soon because you NEED this sandwich in your life!
For now, just make this hummus and eat it with all the fresh or roasted vegetables! Trust me, it’s the best. 🙂
Golden Hummus with Curried Roasted Chickpeas
- 3 cups chickpeas, canned
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons water, as needed
Curried Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Prepare the roasted chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix the curry powder, garam masala, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir the chickpeas and olive oil with the spices until well coated.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes or until crispy and golden.
Make the golden hummus
- While the chickpeas are roasting, make the hummus. Add the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, water and olive oil to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and salt and process until it turns a bright yellow color. Add more water if the hummus is too dry.
- Serve with roasted chickpeas, parsley and crushed red pepper. (optional)