Creamy hummus pasta with roasted brussels sprouts. Yes, I just said hummus pasta.
This is my new favorite way to eat hummus and I hope you’ll give it a chance too – Trust me, it’s so much better than it sounds!
Imagine a creamy, garlicky sauce with salty vegan parmesan and crispy roasted brussels sprouts, all on top of pasta. Not only is it delicious and comforting, but this pasta is also extremely easy.
It’s all done in one pot (plus a baking sheet if you’re serving it with brussels sprouts) and the sauce is done with only 3 ingredients: Hummus, garlic powder and lemon juice. That’s it!
This is how it goes:
- Roast the brussels sprouts (you could roast chickpeas too!).
- Boil the pasta. Save some pasta cooking water.
- Stir the hummus, water, lemon juice and garlic powder with the pasta.
- Serve with vegan (or regular) parmesan and roasted brussels sprouts.
- Dig in!
It doesn’t get much easier than that. Unless maybe you use a jar of pre-made pasta sauce and skip the vegetables, but that’s not my style.
You can also easily change this recipe to your taste. Use a different flavor of hummus (roasted garlic would be delicious). Use broccoli or cauliflower instead of brussels sprouts and maybe add some roasted chickpeas for a crunch and protein boost. You could also use regular parmesan or maybe another favorite cheese. Make it yours.
This is the easiest weeknight pasta dish and it doesn’t even involve store-bought tomato sauce.
Also, this pasta with a good salad makes for an easy and healthy Valentine’s dinner at home. Maybe with a glass of wine too?
Creamy Hummus Pasta with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 375g package pasta of choice (I used fusilli)
- 1 cup hummus
- 3/4 cup pasta cooking water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegan parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (optional)
Roast the Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the brussels sprouts on a baking sheet, along with the chickpeas if using. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until evenly coated. Spread them in an even layer and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden and crispy. The cook time depends on the size.
Prepare the Pasta
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Save 3/4 of the cooking water before draining.
- Add the hummus, garlic powder and lemon juice to the pasta. Add the water, starting with 1/2 cup and increasing as needed (it thickens as you stir it). You don’t want the pasta to be dry! Stir until the sauce is creamy and evenly distributed.
- Serve the pasta topped with the brussels sprouts, chickpeas (if using), vegan parmesan and pepper.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!