Cashew coconut vanilla ice cream. A classic vanilla ice cream with a twist. This vegan ice cream is made with a base of coconut milk and cashews. Churn it in an ice cream maker and you’ll get the creamiest frozen treat that’s sweetened with fruit.
If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you probably know how much I love my banana ice cream (ice cream made from frozen bananas). For years, that was my go-to frozen treat. This summer, I got an ice cream maker and it changed everything.
Yes, I still love my banana ice cream and eat it regularly, but nothing compares to homemade ice cream made in an ice cream maker.
Of course, this recipe is not typical ice cream. Instead of using cow’s milk and sugar, I make mine with full-fat coconut milk, cashews and dates. From there, you can really add any flavor you like (or keep it simple). Here, I went for a simple vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream:
First, this recipe is made using an ice cream maker. I haven’t tried making a no-churn version, but if you don’t have the machine, you can try! From past experience, no-churn ice cream will not have the same creamy result, but it will taste the same.
To start, blend all the ingredients together in a blender to make a smooth mixture. You’ll need full-fat coconut milk, cashews, Medjool dates, vanilla and salt.
Once all the ingredients are blended, turn on the ice cream maker and pour in the mixture. Let it churn for 25-30 minutes or until thick and creamy. It should almost form a ball in the middle and stop moving (see above).
From there, you can eat it immediately as soft-serve or store it in an airtight container and let it harden in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours.
This recipe is a great base for other flavors. You can also serve it with fruit crumble (my favorite). Make it your own and enjoy!
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes to Try:
- Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Vegan Matcha Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Chickpea-Nut Butter Ice Cream
Cashew Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 can (400ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashews, raw or dry roasted, unsalted
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream: Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the bowl in the ice cream maker. Turn it on and pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25-30 minutes or until the ice cream is of soft serve consistency.
- Eat as a soft serve or transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours.
If you make this coconut vanilla ice cream, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!