A creamy vegan pistachio ice cream made with 5 ingredients. All you need is coconut milk, pistachios, sugar, vanilla extract and salt. You also have the option to add matcha for color and almond extract for flavor.
I have another ice cream recipe for you, this time, a pistachio ice cream. This recipe is made with 5 simple ingredients in less than 5 minutes of preparation.
How to Make Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight. Once the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream. Add the pistachios, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, almond extract and matcha to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
Once the mixture is done, pour it into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25 minutes or until the ice cream is of soft serve consistency.
You can eat the ice cream as a soft serve or transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours.
Can You Make This Recipe without an Ice Cream Maker?
This recipe was only tested with an ice cream maker, so I can’t guarantee that a no-churn version would work well. That being said, you can try it – Simply pour the blended mixture into a container and freeze it overnight. The ice cream will likely be more icy than creamy, but it will taste the same. I do find this ice cream to be extra creamy thanks to the combination of pistachios and full-fat coconut milk. Let me know if you try it!
- The matcha is optional for color. Make sure to use ceremonial matcha for the best results.
- I highly recommend using full-fat coconut milk to get the creamiest ice cream. Light coconut milk works, but it won’t be as creamy. If you don’t enjoy a light coconut flavor, you can try using another plain and unsweetened plant-based milk, such as oat milk or cashew milk.
- Feel free to skip the almond extract if you don’t have any on hand. It’s often used in pistachio ice cream and adds a delicious flavor. If you skip it, try adding another 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
- Vegan Matcha Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Cashew Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
- Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Chickpea-Nut Butter Ice Cream
- Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1 can (14oz/400ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon matcha (optional)
- Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream. Add the pistachios, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, almond extract and matcha to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 30-60 seconds. If the mixture got warm while blending, let it cool in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Place the frozen bowl in the ice cream maker. Turn it on and pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25 minutes or until the ice cream is of soft serve consistency.
- Eat as a soft serve or transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours. Top with chopped pistachios if desired.
If you make this vegan pistachio ice cream, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!