A delicious basic chickpea salad sandwich. This nutritious sandwich is made with an easy 8-ingredient chickpea salad filling. It’s perfect for a quick vegan lunch and can easily be packed in a lunchbox for school or work. Serve it with your favorite bread and vegetables of choice.
Here’s my go-to chickpea salad sandwich recipe. The recipe that I turn to when I want a nutritious, filling and delicious lunch in less than 15 minutes. The best part? This chickpea salad sandwich is made with basic ingredients that you might already have at home.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Ingredients:
- Chickpeas: The base of this sandwich. I love to use canned chickpeas for a quick convenient option. Make sure to that the chickpeas are soft and easy to mash.
- Vegetables: Celery, red onions and bell peppers add flavor and crunch to the filling. Make sure to chop then small, especially the onions. You don’t want large overwhelming pieces of onions in the sandwich.
- Mayonnaise: Mayo will add moisture and flavor to the filling. It also helps the chickpeas and vegetables hold together. If you’re not a fan of mayo, I’m sharing some alternatives in the FAQ section.
- Dijon Mustard: You can use regular mustard if preferred or skip it if you don’t like mustard.
- Lemon Juice: This brightens the chickpea salad.
- Additional Ingredients: Salt, pepper and garlic powder help season the chickpea salad.
- Other Fillings: Fill your sandwich with other vegetables and condiments. I love adding sliced tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts and mustard.
How to Make a Chickpea Salad Sandwich:
Here are the steps that you need to make a simple chickpea salad sandwich at home.
- Prepare the Chickpea Salad Filling
Start by mashing the chickpeas in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Add the diced celery, red onion and bell pepper. Taste and adjust the salt, pepper and garlic powder as needed.
- Serve the Sandwiches
Serve the chickpea salad in sandwiches with your vegetables and condiments of choice.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich FAQ:
If you’re not a fan of mayonnaise, you can try using your favorite hummus instead. For an already mayo-free recipe, I recommend trying this chickpea salad sandwich.
The vegetables used in the chickpea salad add flavor and crunch to the recipe. If you don’t like one of the vegetables used, you can replace it with more of another. You could also skip the vegetables, though I don’t recommend it as you will miss out on the texture and flavor.
For additional fillings, feel free to use your favorite vegetables, along with the chickpea salad. I love to add tomatoes, lettuce and sprouts.
If you don’t have canned chickpeas, you can use chickpeas cooked from scratch. To do this, soak the dry chickpeas overnight, then boil them until soft, about an hour and a half. Make sure that the chickpeas are soft and easy to mash for the best results.
The chickpea salad filling will last up to 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. You can prepare a large batch to use for quick lunches for a few days.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes:
- Quick & Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich (No Mayo)
- Easy Vegan Tofu Sandwich
- Vegan Hummus Avocado Sandwich
- Marinated Tofu Sandwich + Salad
And if you’re looking for more chickpea recipes, you can check out my Quick & Easy Chickpea Salad, Crispy Chickpea Burgers, Creamy Chickpea Noodle Soup or Roasted Potato Pesto Salad with Spicy Chipotle Chickpeas.
Basic Chickpea Salad Sandwich
For the Chickpea Salad
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 small lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely diced (red or orange)
- 8 slices bread of choice (2 per sandwich)
- Lettuce (optional)
- Tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- Sprouts (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- Pickles (optional)
- Mash the chickpeas in a medium bowl. You can keep some chickpeas whole for texture. Stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Dice the celery, red onion and bell pepper. Make sure to dice them small, especially the onion. Stir the chopped vegetables into the chickpea salads until combined. Taste the chickpea salad and adjust the salt, pepper and garlic powder as needed.
- Serve the chickpea salad in sandwiches with your fillings of choice.
If you make this chickpea salad sandwich, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!