Roasted potato pesto salad with spicy chipotle chickpeas. A delicious and comforting vegan salad that’s packed with flavor!
This recipe was originally shared in 2018 and it just got a makeover!
If you’re looking for a delicious, satisfying and not at all boring salad, this is it. This salad is packed with flavor from a simple vegan pesto, spicy chipotle chickpeas and delicious salted roasted potatoes. The potatoes and chickpeas make it hearty and satisfying. It’s a great salad to serve as a main or side dish.
How to Make a Roasted Potato Pesto Salad:
Start by preparing the potatoes and chickpeas. Spread them on a large baking sheet (or two medium baking sheets). Make sure not to overcrowd the baking sheet to ensure that the potatoes and chickpeas both get lightly crispy. Drizzle with oil and add a pinch of salt. Sprinkle the smoked paprika and chipotle on the chickpeas and toss to cover.
Roast the potatoes and chickpeas for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy on the outside.
Meanwhile, make the pesto by adding all the ingredients to a food processor. Toss the roasted potatoes with the prepared pesto. Serve with your favorite leafy greens and top with chickpeas and nutritional yeast (for a bit of a cheesy taste and a protein and vitamin B12 boost). Enjoy!
Notes on Substitutions:
- This pesto is nut-free thanks to sunflower seeds, but feel free to use any other seeds or nuts. Toasted sliced almonds or pepitas are delicious options.
- For extra flavor, you can replace the spinach in the pesto for additional basil.
- Not a fan of spice? This recipe is not overly spicy, but feel free to skip the chipotle to make smokey paprika chickpeas. You can also keep it simple with just a pinch of salt.
- Alternatively, you can make this recipe spicier by adding more chipotle or even a pinch of cayenne.
This is a great recipe to serve at a barbecue, to whip up for a quick weeknight or weekend meal or to serve at a potluck with friends. It can be eaten cold or warm, though it is best when fresh and warm.
This roasted potato pesto salad has been one of my favorites for years and I hope you’ll love it too! Trust me, you need this salad in your life.
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Roasted Potato Pesto Salad with Spicy Chipotle Chickpeas
- 1.5 lbs (680g) baby potatoes, halved (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fine grain sea salt to taste
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or leafy greens of choice
- Nutritional yeast, for topping
- Squeeze of lemon juice, optional
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, packed (or more basil)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spread the sunflower seeds or pepitas on a baking sheet. Toast for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 400°F.
- Add your potatoes and chickpeas on a baking sheet (two separate sheets if needed, make sure not to overcrowd them). Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle the chickpeas with chipotle and paprika and rub to coat evenly. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30-40 minutes at 400°F or until lightly golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto: In a small food processor or blender, process all of the pesto ingredients, including the roasted sunflower seeds or pepitas, for 30 seconds or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl add the roasted potatoes and pesto. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly. Serve with your leafy greens of choice and top with spicy roasted chickpeas and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
If you make this roasted potato pesto salad, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!