Cozy spiced apple pie overnight oats. A simple chia oatmeal topped with spiced sautéed apples. This quick and easy breakfast is perfect for meal prep or busy weeks. It’s also vegan and gluten-free!
A comforting, but simple fall-inspired breakfast. These overnight oats are packed with fiber thanks to the added chia seeds and apples. You can also make them higher in protein by using soy milk. The result: A delicious and filling breakfast that’s perfect for busy mornings.
If you have the time in the morning, you can sauté the apples and serve them warm with the oats. If you’re short on time and want a grab-and-go breakfast, simply sauté the apples the night before when you prepare the oats. It might require an extra step, but it takes 10 minutes and it’s absolutely worth it. If that’s not possible, no worries! You can keep it simple and serve the oats with raw diced apples, cinnamon and maple.
Spiced Apple Pie Overnight Oats Ingredient Notes:
- Oats: This recipe is made with rolled oats for added texture. However, you can use quick oats if that’s what you have on hand.
- Chia seeds: These seeds will help absorb some of the liquid to get thick overnight oats. If the oats are too thick to your liking, simply add a splash of milk before serving.
- Plant-based milk: I love to use soy milk for added protein. Feel free to use your favorite plant-based milk, ideally plain to avoid altering the flavors.
- Apple: Use your favorite apple variety. You don’t need to be overly picky about the type of apple that you use in this recipe as you won’t be baking the apples for a long period of time. Just adjust the sautéing time to get the apples soft to your liking. I used Gala apples when testing the recipe.
- Maple Syrup: For the apples and for topping. You can easily adjust the sweetness to your taste.
- Spices: We’re using cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg for fall flavors that pair perfectly with the apple.
- Other Ingredients: I love to add a small pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to balance the sweetness of the recipe and add a very light acidity. This is not necessary.
How to Make Apple Pie Overnight Oats:
Here are the simple steps that you need to make apple pie overnight oats at home.
- Prepare the Oats
Stir the oats, chia seeds and plant-based milk in a bowl, jar or sealable container. Cover and let sit in the fridge overnight.
- Prepare the Apples:
You can prepare the apples the night before or in the morning if preferred. Add the chopped apple, maple syrup, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small saucepan. Stir to coat the apples. Cook over low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until the apples are softened to your liking. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.
Serve the oats with the spiced apples. Top with more maple syrup, cinnamon, nuts and/or nut butter if desired.
Apple Pie Overnight Oats FAQ:
Overnight oats can last up to 4 days in the fridge, but they will be best when eaten within 2-3 days. They also continue to soften as they sit in the fridge, which can be a positive if you like your oats extra soft.
Yes, but you will need to use less milk or more oats to get the perfect texture. Feel free to try this if you prefer.
No! I tested the recipe with peeled apples, but if you enjoy the extra texture (and want a bit more fiber), you can keep the peel.
More Overnight Oat Recipes:
- Basic Chia Overnight Oats
- Easy Protein Overnight Oats (Vegan)
- Tropical Coconut Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Hazelnut Overnight Oats
- Cherry Coconut Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Overnight Oats
Spiced Apple Pie Overnight Oats
For the Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice
For the Spiced Apples
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Prepare the oats: Stir the oats, chia seeds and plant-based milk in a bowl, jar or sealable container. Cover and let sit in the fridge overnight.
- Prepare the apples: Add the chopped apple, maple syrup, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small saucepan. Stir to coat the apple pieces. Cook over low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until the apples are softened to your liking. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired. You can prepare the apples the night before and store them in the fridge or make them in the morning and serve them warm with the oats.
- Serve the oats with the spiced apples. Top with more maple syrup, cinnamon, nuts and/or nut butter if desired. You can also add an extra splash of milk if the oats are too thick to your liking.
If you make these apple pie overnight oats, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!