Easy no-bake thumbprint cookies that are naturally vegan and gluten-free! These cookies are made with only 5 ingredients and require less than 15 minutes of work.
Easter is just around the corner and while most of us won’t celebrate as we had planned, the least we can do is stay at home and eat good food.
This recipe is as easy as it gets. All you need is a food processor and a few basic ingredients you likely have in your pantry because let’s face it, that’s all I can manage lately. Quick and easy recipes.
These are not traditional thumbprint cookies. They’re not baked and they’re sweetened with dates. They make for a perfect sweet snack that’s filling thanks to the protein, fiber and fats found in the ingredient.
Here’s what you need to make this recipe: oats, walnuts, dates, salt, vanilla and jam. That’s it!
Notes on Substitutions:
- You can use other nuts or seeds if you don’t have walnuts on hand. Walnuts and cashews are my favorites, but almonds and sunflower seeds work too. You can use raw or dry-roasted unsalted nuts. I do recommend roasted sunflower seeds for a better taste.
- Use any jam you have on hand. I love Crofter’s strawberry jam, but any will work. You can also make homemade chia jam (I have a recipe here).
How to Make No-Bake Thumbprint Cookies:
Start by adding your walnuts and oats to a food processor and process until you get a coarse crumb. This will act as your sort of “flour” and will prevent you from getting any big pieces of nuts or oats in your little cookies.
You can then add the vanilla, salt and dates and process until the mixture sticks when pressed. You’ll likely need to add a touch of water to help it stick. 1 tablespoon is usually all I need.
Next, you’ll form little balls with the dough and form a well in each ball using your thumb. This is where you’ll add your favorite jam.
And you’re done!
I hope you’ll spend a good, quiet Easter at home.
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
No-Bake Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup rolled or quick oats
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Jam of choice (1-2 teaspoons per cookie)
- Water as needed
- Add the walnuts and oats to a food processor. Process until you get a coarse crumb.
- Add the dates, vanilla and salt and process until the mixture sticks together. Add water as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time. (1 tablespoon is usually all I need).
- Form 8-10 little balls by rolling the mixture between your palms. Place on a clean surface or baking sheet.
- Press your thumb in the center of each ball to form a little well. Fill each well with your favorite jam, about 1-2 teaspoons per cookie.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you make these no-bake thumbprint cookies, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!