A simple vegan lemon mug cake made in the microwave in less than 5 minutes. All you need is a handful of pantry ingredients, plus fresh lemon juice and zest. It’s perfect for an easy single-serve dessert. Serve it with a scoop of your favorite plant-based ice cream or other toppings of choice.
A lemon mug cake, in celebration of my birthday this week.
This simple mug cake is inspired by my Funfetti birthday mug cake, but with the addition of lemon zest and lemon juice (and minus the sprinkles). It’s the perfect cake for one or two people, whether you’re celebrating something or not. Serve it with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, frosting or other toppings of choice.
Lemon Mug Cake Ingredients:
- Flour: This recipe is made with all-purpose white flour.
- Sugar: I used a regular white granulated sugar. You should be able to use a turbinado sugar or maybe coconut sugar.
- Baking powder and salt
- Oil: I used avocado oil but you can use another light-tasting oil.
- Oat milk: This recipe was tested using plain, unsweetened oat milk. You can use any plant-based milk, preferably a plain, unsweetened milk.
- Lemon zest and juice: You can adjust the amount of zest for a stronger or lighter lemon flavor.
- Serve this cake with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream. Vanilla ice cream is a delicious classic option, but you can try other flavors. You can also top it with vegan whipped cream or coconut whipped cream instead.
- You can also add in a sprinkle of poppy seeds or a tablespoon of white chocolate chips to the batter before “baking”.
How-To Make a Vegan Lemon Mug Cake:
Here are the steps to make a simple vegan lemon mug cake.
- Combine the dry ingredients
Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a medium mug. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the wet ingredients
Add the oat milk, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla to the dry mixture. Stir using a spoon or small whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix, but mix until smooth.
- Microwave the cake
Microwave for 60-90 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows, heat it in small intervals.
Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream if desired or other toppings of choice.
Lemon Mug Cake FAQ:
Yes! You can make this recipe gluten-free by using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix like this one.
I only tested this recipe with white all-purpose flour and a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix. I can’t guarantee good results with other flours that I haven’t tried. If you try using a different flour, let me know how it turns out in the comments!
This recipe was only tested using the microwave, so I can’t recommend a baked option.
More Vegan Mug Cakes:
- Easy Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- Vegan Funfetti Birthday Mug Cake
- Vegan Fudgy Mug Brownie
Vegan Lemon Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose white flour, spoon and leveled
- 2 tablespoons (30g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 tablespoons oat milk, plain and unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other light-tasting oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a medium mug. Stir to combine.
- Add the oat milk, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla to the dry mixture. Stir using a spoon or small whisk until combined. Make sure not to overmix, but mix until smooth.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds. The timing will depend on your microwave. Keep an eye on the cake and if it overflows (this shouldn't be an issue), heat it in small intervals.
- Serve with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream if desired.
If you make this vegan mug cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!