A nourishing strawberry banana oat smoothie that’s packed with plant-based protein and fiber. This vegan smoothie is made with bananas, strawberries, soy milk, hemp hearts, almond butter, oats and dates.
Are you looking for a refreshing breakfast recipe that will keep you full for hours? This recipe is packed with fruits and made with high-fiber ingredients for a filling and delicious breakfast. It also has a good dose of protein thanks to soy milk, almond butter and hemp hearts.
There’s really nothing like a cold, refreshing smoothie for breakfast on a warm summer day. I hope you’ll love this one too!
Smoothie Ingredient Notes and Substitutions:
- Banana: This smoothie uses a fresh banana. You can use a frozen banana instead if preferred, but you might need to add more liquid as it will thicken the smoothie.
- Strawberries: Use frozen sliced strawberries for easier blending. This recipe is also great with mixed frozen berries instead of frozen strawberries. Use what you have on hand.
- Oats: You can use rolled oats or quick oats. Since they’ll get blended in the smoothie, you’ll get the same result. Oats will add extra soluble fiber to the smoothie, which promotes satiety.
- Hemp hearts: These will add fiber, healthy fats and protein. You can use chia seeds or flax seeds instead. If you prepare the smoothie in advance, keep in mind that chia and flax seeds will absorb some liquid, resulting in a thicker smoothie.
- Almond butter: Similar to the hemp hearts, almond butter will add fiber, healthy fats and protein. Plus, it adds a delicious light almond flavor to the smoothie. You can use peanut butter or other nut/seed butters, but this will affect the flavor of the smoothie. Use what you prefer.
- Medjool date: The date adds a little extra sweetness to the smoothie, plus some extra fiber.
- Soy milk: You can use other plant-based milks if you don’t have soy milk. Just keep in mind that soy milk adds protein to this smoothie.
- Vanilla extract: Just used for flavor.
Strawberry Banana Oat Smoothie FAQ:
This smoothie contains about 21g of protein. This is a good amount of protein for a filling breakfast for most people, but if you’re looking to add more protein, I’m sharing some tips below.
Yes! If you’re looking to add more protein, you can add a scoop of protein powder. Though this is not necessary for most as this smoothie contains a good dose of protein already, do what works for you. I recommend using a plain protein powder that won’t overpower the delicate flavors of this smoothie.
There are many ways to add protein to a smoothie. Soy milk, hemp hearts, almond butter and oats all add protein to this particular smoothie. Protein powder is a convenient option. Other options include certain yogurts, nuts, seeds and even tofu. You can find my tips on how to add protein to a smoothie without protein powder here.
If you have a weaker blender, the oats might leave a grainy texture in the smoothie. Feel free to skip the oats if you prefer. You can also skip the oats and hemp hearts for more of a sweet fruit smoothie. The oats and hemp hearts make this recipe more filling and hearty. It might not be for you if you prefer a very sweet fruit smoothie.
This smoothie will stay fresh for a few hours when refrigerated. However, because this smoothie contains a banana, which will brown with time, the quality will deteriorate quickly. I don’t recommend making it the night before for this reason. Also, the oats will absorb water with time, so expect a thicker smoothie if you drink it later. This is a smoothie that’s best enjoyed freshly made.
More Vegan Smoothie Recipes:
- Simple strawberry, banana and orange smoothie
- Pink berry lime smoothie
- My Favorite protein green smoothie
- Nourishing banana oat smoothie
And finally, you can find all of my tips to make a filling smoothie here!
Watch How to Make the Recipe:
Nourishing Strawberry Banana Oat Smoothie
- 1 large banana, ripe
- 1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 1 cup soy milk, plain, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy!
If you make this strawberry banana oat smoothie, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!