Easy vegan banana walnut bran muffins made with no added sugar. These fruit-sweetened muffins are packed with fiber and make for a perfect healthy snack. They’re also versatile and can be made with different add-ins, including chocolate chips or raisins.
I first shared my regular banana bran muffins in 2019 and they’ve been a blog favorite ever since. When I switched to sharing vegan recipes exclusively in 2020, I knew that I wanted to create a vegan version of this favorite recipe. These muffins are very similar to the original recipe, but this time, they’re egg-free. I adjusted the ingredients slightly to make them fluffier, without the egg. I also topped them with walnuts for a little extra crunch. The results: Soft, moist and lightly sweetened vegan muffins that are high in fiber.
Before you try this recipe, I want to be clear that this is not an overly sweet muffin recipe. They are only sweetened with bananas and applesauce after all. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying sweetened muffins (I often do), I find that these muffins are delicious without. I love to top them with jam or peanut butter, but they’re also good on their own. That being said, we all have a different preference for sweetness, so if you prefer sweeter muffins, you can find my suggestions in the FAQ section below. I encourage you to adjust the recipe to your taste, whether that means adding sugar or sweet add-ins.
Banana Walnut Bran Muffin Ingredient Substitutions:
- Add Spices: For different flavors, you can try adding nutmeg and/or cardamom to the muffins. Pumpkin pie spice could also work well.
- Add Fruits: Feel free to add blueberries or dried raisins to add a light sweetness to the muffins. Raspberries, dried cranberries and other fruits could work too. Have fun with it!
- Add More Nuts: The recipe already has walnuts for topping, but feel free to add some in the batter too. You can also swap the walnuts for other nuts. Pecans would work well.
- Add Chocolate: Add chocolate chips for extra sweetness. Of course they won’t be fruit-sweetened in this case, but it would be a delicious addition to these nutritious muffins.
How to Make Vegan Bran Muffins:
Here are the simple steps to make vegan bran muffins.
- Prepare the Muffin Pan
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom of a muffin pan or use muffin liners.
- Combine the Ingredients
Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, oil, plant-based milk and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. In a different medium-large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Top each muffins with the chopped walnuts. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and let them cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
Vegan Banana Walnut Bran Muffins FAQ:
If you want a nutritious fiber-rich muffin recipe with a little more sweetness, you can add a bit of sugar. I haven’t tested this recipe with sweeteners myself, but many readers have made them with a touch of maple syrup or even stevia. If you use maple, I would recommend starting with 1-2 tablespoons as adding more might affect the texture of the muffins. If you want them sweeter, try adding granulated sugar to taste.
If you don’t want to add sugar to the batter, but would prefer a sweeter snack, I highly recommend serving them with a fruit jam.
More Vegan Bread and Muffin Recipes:
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
- Fruit-Sweetened Breakfast Banana Bread
- Fruit-Sweetened Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
- Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Streusel Topping
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Easy Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
Vegan Banana Walnut Bran Muffins (No Added Sugar)
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil, or other light-tasting oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk, plain and unsweetened
- 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour, spoon and leveled
- 1 cup wheat bran, spoon and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts, chopped (for topping)
- Vegan chocolate chips
- More chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom of a muffin pan or use muffin liners.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, oil, plant-based milk and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- In a different medium-large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Top each muffins with the chopped walnuts. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
If you make these vegan banana walnut bran muffins, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. I only share products that I trust and recommend. Choosing to use these links helps to support me and this blog. Thank you!