Savory sweet potato casserole with garlic rosemary pecans. A delicious vegan holiday side dish. In this casserole, mashed buttery sweet potatoes are served with a mixture of chopped pecans, garlic, fresh rosemary and nutritional yeast. It’s packed with flavor thanks to the pecan topping and made with just a few ingredients.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017 and has been updated with new photography and extra details. The recipe remains the same!
If you’re looking for a non-traditional way to serve sweet potatoes this holiday season, look no further. In this recipe, we’re serving mashed sweet potatoes with a delicious and flavorful pecan topping. The pecan topping is simply made from chopped pecans tossed with fresh rosemary, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and oil.
What you need: Sweet potatoes, pecans, fresh rosemary, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, olive oil, vegan butter and plant-based milk of choice.
As you can see, this recipe is vegan and gluten-free! It’s a great side dish for all eaters.
Notes on the Recipe:
- This recipe is best served fresh. Once reheated, the pecans will lose their crunch, but the casserole will taste the same.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of salt, vegan butter and plant-based milk in the sweet potatoes. Prepare them to your taste.
- I tested this recipe with plain unsweetened soy milk. You can use your favorite plain and unsweetened plant-based milk. Almond, oat and cashew milk would work well. Avoid plant-based milks with a strong and sweet flavor, such as coconut milk.
- Don’t have any pecans? Try making this recipe with chopped walnuts! Almonds could work well too.
More Vegan Holiday Recipes:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Winter Salad with Toasted Pecans
- Vegan Lentil Pot Pie With Biscuits
- Savory Vegan Biscuits with Scallions
- Vegan Gravy (with a Mushroom-Free Option)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Pecans
- Vegan Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Whether you make this recipe for the holidays or just any dinner, I hope you’ll love it!
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole with Garlic Rosemary Pecans
For the Sweet Potato Mash
- 3 large sweet potatoes (about 8 cups), peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk of choice (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or more to taste
For the Garlic Rosemary Pecans
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9"x9" dish with vegan butter or olive oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-high. Cook until fork-tender, approximately 15 minutes. Drain and transfer back to the pot.
- Add the vegan butter, plant-based milk and salt to the sweet potatoes. Mash until creamy. Transfer to the prepared dish.
- Prepare the garlic rosemary pecans: In a small bowl, stir together your chopped pecans, garlic, rosemary, salt, oil and nutritional yeast.
- Spread evenly on top of the sweet potatoes. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Serve immediately or let it cool completely before storing it in the fridge, covered for up to 4 days.
If you make this savory sweet potato casserole, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!