A comforting creamy mushroom and wild rice soup. This hearty vegan soup is packed with vegetables and herbs. Serve it with fresh bread for a delicious and cozy vegan dinner.
This vegan soup is the perfect winter comfort food. It’s hearty thanks to a generous amount of vegetables and rice, plus made creamy thanks to plant-based milk. It’s nutritious, cozy and it makes for a great meal or side dish on a cold day. Keep the recipe as is for a lighter meal/side dish or add some chickpeas for protein!
This one-pot recipe is vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and soy-free!
How to Make a Vegan Creamy Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
Start by preparing all of your ingredients and chopping your vegetables. This will make the process much easier and less rushed.
Next, heat the vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the rice, summer savory and thyme.
Finally, add the vegetable broth and plant-based milk. Stir everything together, then bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer covered for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked. In the last 5 minutes, stir in the baby spinach. Add white wine vinegar. Taste and add more salt and/or vinegar as needed. Enjoy!
How to Save Time When Making this Recipe:
For a quicker soup, you can use white basmati rice instead of brown and wild rice. This will cut the cook time from 40 minutes to 15 minutes.
I highly recommend preparing all of the ingredients before starting the soup. This mise en place will save you from burning some of the vegetables while you quickly try to chop the rest.
- Again, for a quicker soup, you can use white basmati rice. Make sure to follow the package’s instructions to determine the cook time needed for different types of rice.
- This recipe was tested with regular vegetable broth. If you use low-sodium vegetable broth, increase the salt as needed.
- This recipe was tested with both oat milk and canned coconut milk (light and full fat). Coconut milk makes this soup extra creamy. You shouldn’t taste the coconut much in this soup, but if you don’t enjoy coconut, I would recommend using oat milk. This will result in a soup that’s less rich and creamy, but it works. Light coconut milk is my personal favorite.
- If you can’t find summer savory, you can replace it with dried oregano or parsley. However, I highly recommend making it with summer savory for the best result.
- You can also make this recipe with white button mushrooms.
- For protein, feel free to add cooked chickpeas towards the end of cooking. You will need to adjust the salt (and herbs if desired) when adding more volume to the soup.
More Vegan Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Chickpea and Rice Soup (Vegan)
- Simple Lentil Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Chickpea and Dumpling Soup
- Lentil Lasagna Soup (Vegan)
- Creamy Chickpea Noodle Soup (Vegan)
Creamy Mushroom & Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cups (454g) cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup brown and wild rice blend (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon summer savory
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant-based milk, plain and unsweetened (see notes)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/2-1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Start by preparing all of your ingredients.
- Heat the vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the liquid released from the mushrooms has mostly evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the rice and toast for 1-2 minutes, then add the summer savory and thyme.
- Add the vegetable broth and plant-based milk. Stir everything together, then increase heat to bring the a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to low-medium and cook covered for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked. In the last 5 minutes, stir in the baby spinach.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar. Taste and add more salt and/or vinegar as needed. Enjoy!
If you make this creamy mushroom and wild rice soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys. And of course, if you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!